Who is eligible for housing assistance?

For the programs operated by HSC, you must:

• be HIV-positive
• have low income
• participate in your own healthcare

How do I apply?

See your case manager. Your HSC case manager can assist you with completing applications and forms, and let you know what other documents we will need if you qualify for housing. Please know that submitting the application does not guarantee that you will receive the services you want, but we will do our best to provide you with appropriate housing assistance.

HSC Housing Options

    • Men and Women Emergency Shelter
      The Men and Women shelter is an emergency shelter for individuals who are HIV+, low to no income, and homeless or at immediate risk of being homeless. The shelter is offered for short stays of up to 60 days, and includes daily case management support. While living in the Men and Women shelter, residents participate in programs to improve their health while developing a plan for stable housing.
    • Permanent Housing
      The Permanent Housing program is designed to provide stable housing in combination with the support of specialized Housing Case Managers. The purpose of Permanent Housing is to provide safe, affordable housing during a time of transition, while the resident is working toward a plan of renting or purchasing his or her own home.Residents of the Permanent Housing Program reside in apartments or houses operated by HSC; family members or caregivers are allowed. The Health Services Center operates up to twelve units of Permanant Housing in Calhoun County, Etowah County, and Chambers County. Permanent Housing residents must participate actively in their own health care, develop a plan for long-term stable housing, and follow program guidelines. Permanent Housing is income-based. The rent paid includes furnished housing and utilities.
    • First Month’s Rent and Deposit Assistance
      Moving into a new home can be expensive. Sometimes the only thing keeping a person from moving to a stable, permanent home is the first month deposits. The Health Services Center can pay a portion of reasonable utility and rental deposits people who are HIV+ and have low income, on a one-time basis. The program is designed to help people who are homeless or living in an unstable situation move to a permanent home of their own. To be eligible, you must have enough income to pay the rent and utilities after the first month, and have a lease showing that you are a resident.
    • Long-term Rent Assistance
      For people with low incomes, paying rent and utilities each month can be a hardship. Federal guidelines show that about 30% of income should be spend on rent and utilities. If you are paying more than 30% for these costs each month, you may be eligible for a long-term rent assistance voucher from HSC. To be eligible, you must be HIV+, low income, have a lease in your name, and be able to pay some monthly expenses on your own. The long-term rent assistance voucher is designed to help stretch your monthly income to ensure that you can afford safe and decent housing. To receive a voucher, you must agree to attend health appointments and receive supportive services from a Housing Case Manager. HSC will visit your housing at least once a year to make sure it is safe and meets inspection guidelines.
    • Short-term Rent, Utilities, and Mortgage Assistance
      This program provides short-term help by paying a portion of rent or mortgage costs for persons facing an unexpected crisis. To be eligible, you must be HIV-positive and low-income, and already have a lease or mortgage in your name. You must also have a plan of how you will pay rent or mortgage once the short-term assistance ends.
    • Referrals
      Although HSC does not operate specialized support housing, such as a hospice group home or inpatient substance abuse treatment, we can make referrals to these types of housing which may be available in other areas.

    Housing Office Phone: (256) 832-0100 (Please follow prompts to reach housing department) 
    Medical Office Phone: (256) 832-0100
    Fax: (256) 831-3461